The organisation aims for as flexible a structure as possible, with the minimum number of management tiers. The human and machine capacities are assigned to the respective relevant specialist areas, internally known as “pools”. Arranged within these in a matrix-like structure are the research areas, to which in turn the research projects are assigned by specialisation.
Pool leaders and research area leaders are appointed for a term of 2 years, after which a re-tender for the respective position takes place, whereupon all employees are able to submit an application on the basis of their personal qualifications and commitment. This gives all employees the opportunity to regularly switch between management tasks and technical activities. Pool leaders and research area leaders report to the executive management.
Project leaders are appointed for the duration of the respective project and report to the research area leaders. Project leaders design the technical sequence of the project, make sure that the budget is adhered to and ensure the formal and informal communication between the project team members and cooperation partners.
The internal workflows are defined in an organisational manual. All employees are informed of centre-specific news and necessary administrative changes in the scope of regular workshops. Regular specialist presentations are held with the purpose of internal knowledge dissemination. Regularly attending conferences and presentations enables employees to evaluate their knowledge both nationally and internationally.
Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Andreas Pauschitz
General Management & Shareholder
Academic education, employment, and participation in professional associations
AC2T research GmbH – Austrian Excellence Centre for Tribology,
- 2003-2006: Key scientist, authorized officer
- since 2006: General Manager
Austrian Tribology Society (ÖTG),
- 1995 – 2014: Secretary General
- since 2014: Member of the ÖTG-Board
- since 2019: Chairman of the ÖTG
Technische Universität Wien, Faculty of Electrical Engineering; University Assistant at the Institute for Micro Technique and Precision Engineering;
- 1996: Graduation to Dr.techn. in Tribology
- 1999 – 2003: Head of Tribology and Design Department
Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik GmbH, Project Manager in the field of small series passenger car manufacturing
Technische Universität Graz, student of Mechanical and Economical Engineering
- 1988: Graduation for Mechanical and Economical Engineering; field of study: piston engines
- tribosystem design, tribo-metrology, and tribo-diagnostics
- elevated temperature wear, wear of nano-crystalline coatings
- boundary layer formation, stick-slip effects
- wet clutches, journal bearings, ball bearings, artificial hip joints
- Tribosystem design of journal bearings (1992 – 1996)
- Tribological mechanisms in hip joints (1995 – 1999)
- Investigation of stick/slip and wear in friction disc systems (1998 – 2006)
- Organization of the World Tribology Congress 2001
- Organization/Management of the project “Kplus Center of Competence for Tribology” (2002-2009),
budget: 20 M€
- Organization/Management of the project “COMET Center of Excellence XTribology” (2010 – 2019),
budget: 100 M€
- Organization/Management of the project “COMET Center of Excellence InTribology” (2020 – 2027),
expected budget: 86 M€
- TRIBOLINO Special Award, awarded by the Austrian Tribology Society (ÖTG), for the management of the “XTribology application” (2009)
- “Meilenstein 2010 – Dr.-Erwin-Pröll-Zukunftspreis” (together with F. Franek, N. Dörr, E. Badisch, G. Vorlaufer) award by the Federal State Niederösterreich for the “project XTribology” (2010)
- Award of the professional title of Professor by the Austrian Federal President (2019)
Effective as of 1st Sept. 2016, a collegial scientific board of directors was appointed. This is made up of Priv.-Doz. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Nicole Dörr – in her role as “Chief Scientist” – and Dipl.-Ing. Dr.mont. Ewald Badisch – in his role as “Chief Scientist”.
Priv.-Doz. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Nicole Dörr
Priv.-Doz. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Nicole Dörr has held various positions since the initiation of the competence centre. She worked for many years as the head of an AC²T research area. Priv.-Doz. Dr. Dörr is an experienced chemist and also a trained plastics engineer.
Dipl.-Ing. Dr.mont. Ewald Badisch
Dipl.-Ing. Dr.mont. Ewald Badisch is a materials scientist who joined our team all the way back in 2004. He spent many years working as the head of an AC²T research area, and a few years as the deputy scientific director at the competence centre.
The illustration alongside this text shows the educational background of the employees and their distribution among the individual specialist areas.
In recent years, the number of staff has varied between around 130-150 people. On average, the proportion of employees is approx. 25%.
The inclusion of students in the research activities in the context of their diploma theses and dissertations reinforces the intensive contact with universities and technical colleges.
Participations & Membership
AC²T has been a shareholder of the research and development services provider AAC – Aerospace & Advanced Composites GmbH (AAC) since 2010, holding 49.9%.
AC²T is a member of the following organisations/associations, among others (excerpt):
- ÖTG – Austrian Tribology Society
- STLE – Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers
- Automobilcluster – Business Upper Austria
- Kunststoffcluster – Business Upper Austria
- ASMET – The Austrian Society for Metallurgy and Materials
- ETSA – European Thermal Spray Association
- ASTM – American Society for Testing and Materials
Facts & Figures
- 20 years active in Tribology
- > 10 million € annual project budget
- Over 100 scientifically active employees
- Largest private sector R&D service provider in tribology worldwide
- Personal Shareholders (59 %)
(Dr. Badisch 3 %, Prof. Franek 10,5 %, Hr. Kricej 23 %, Prof. Pauschitz 20 %,
Prof. Störi 2,5 %)
- The Austrian Tribology Society (25 %)
- Vienna Univeristy of Technology (14 %)
- Non-scientific partners (2 %)
More information about the company
More information about the boards
More information about our partners