Metrology in Tribology - MET
Our activities focus on the exploration, optimisation, and implementation of tribology-focused methods of measurement and sensor systems as well as their application.
- We develop sensors for detecting states and state changes in the tribological contact
- We carry our online characterisation of tribological systems
- We perform extended analyses of topographies (for correlation with tribological function)
- Knowledge of physical measurement methods for the detection of dynamic tribological characteristics (such as friction, wear, temperature, load, speed, surface changes, or accelerations)
- Experience in sensor selection and implementation (control and evaluation) for tribology-focused quantities
- Combination of measurements for the diagnosis of the tribological system
- Online wear measurement in the micrometre (eddy current and confocal chromatic sensors) to nanometre range (using radio isotopes and particle characterisation methods)
- Characterisation of surface topographies (white light confocal microscopy, light scattering analysis, time-lapse visualisation)
- Detection of spontaneous events in the tribo-contact (high-speed visualisation, high-speed temperature measurement, vibration measurement, acoustic wear detection)
- Measurement of the electrical properties of an electrically loaded tribo-contact
Ing. MSc Reinhard Grundtner
Leader of Pool "Metrology in Tribology"