The Center of Excellence acts as a central node for national and international research activities in tribology and is perceived as „European Center of Tribology®“.
Transfer of holistic tribology knowledge and professional experience to industry by providing high-quality personnel and state-of-the-art equipment in terms of a synergistic and cost-effective "multi-user system".
Following the intentions of the AC²T planning consortium and the prerequisites of the shareholders the objectives of the Excellence Centre of Tribology are primarily as follows:
- Generation of novel interdisciplinary and holistic knowledge in Tribology.
- Raising public and industrial awareness as to the importance of Tribology.
- Systematically networking to promote new tribotechnology knowledge in Austria and abroad, providing concerned consultancy, especially to customers and collaboration partners.
- Stimulation of research in innovative fields of Tribology, such as smart materials, surfaces and coatings, lubricants and lubrication systems, high-resolution wear measurement systems, simulation and modelling of friction and wear processes.
- The development and extension of standardization, test methods and databases concerning tribological test data.
- The promotion the use of novel knowledge to optimise friction and reduce wear, raw material consumption and environmental loading in industrial processing.
- Participation in specific education and training of R&D staff in the field of Tribology.
- Contribution to application and development of sustainable technologies taking into account a socially and environmentally sustainable economic growth.