- Starting from the late 1980s the Austrian Tribology Society (Österreichische Tribologische Gesellschaft – ÖTG) as the concerned scientific society in Austria on its own aspired initiating an institution for interdisciplinary R&D services in Tribology.
- Based on the austrian technology funding programme Kplus, the intention could be realised, starting from the very first idea and already more concretely from about 2000.
- The “Austrian Center of Competence for Tribology”, located in the Technology and Research Center Wiener Neustadt (Technologie- und Forschungszentrum - tfz), could officially start as Kplus Centre of Competence in October 2002 for a period of seven years.
- AC²T applied for a COMET K2 Centre under the technology programme COMET (Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies) end of 2008. Based on the submitted project proposal with the acronym "XTribology" and the outcome of the two-stage international peer review selection process AC²T was awarded the status COMET K2 Centre in the frame of the umbrella project XTribology in fall 2009.
- From April 2010 to March 2020 the COMET umbrella project XTribology comprised more than 30 individual research projects with participation of more than 100 company and scientific partners. About half of the budget of XTribology is publicly funded by the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (on behalf of the Austrian State) and the provinces of Niederösterreich, Wien and Vorarlberg.
- Mid 2010, AC²T participated in the founding of the "Aerospace & Advanced Composites GmbH (AAC)", which offers particular material-oriented R&D services in the aviation and aerospace industry, meanwhile on site at the Technology and Research Center Wiener Neustadt.
- 2012, office and laboratory space were extended and since than include approximately 4,000 square meters.
- AC²T applied for a new period as COMET K2 Centre under the technology programme COMET (Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies) end of 2018. Based on the outcome of the international peer review selection process AC²T was awarded the umbrella project InTribology.
- Since April 2020 the COMET umbrella project InTribology is under operation for a duration of 8 years comprising 18 individual research projects with participation of more than 120 company and scientific partners. Half of the budget of InTribology is publicly funded by the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (on behalf of the Austrian State) and the provinces of Niederösterreich, and Vorarlberg.
The pioneering spirit of the AC²T tribologists for the future activities of the Excellence Centre should never “wear out”. Gratefully acknowledged should be the persons who and institutions which accompanied with interest and favour the business operation and further extension of the Center, thus “reducing friction”, especially the concerned staff members of the funding Ministries, and the responsible persons of the provincial government of Niederösterreich.